Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Sit and stitch

Today was a much better day for the girls and I. We went to see a movie (Willie Wonka and the chocolate factory- the Johnny Depp version) then had lunch. I've never taken them out to eat at a sit-down place of any sort by myself where some sort of play land wasn't involved but I wanted to try La Salsa, so that's where we went and they did quite well. It was a pretty enjoyable afternoon.

I tried to get some knitting done in the movie theater. I figured the light from the movie screen would be enough for me to see my stitches... it didn't work out that way. And I was doing seed stitch, too. About 15 minutes into the movie I gave up and put my knitting away. When we went to the restroom I took it out and took a look at the damage- it looked like some wierd kind of rib stitch. I wondered if those knit lights you put on your needles were flexible and would work with circulars. The next time I'm at Joann's craft store, I'm going to have to take a closer look. But all was not lost- I was only two rows into the back side of the baby sweater I'm working on, so it was no big deal to frog it and start over again. Tonight was sit n stitch night at my LYS, so I took this opportunity to get out of the house by myself and get some knitting done in the company of like-minded folk. Turns out tonights sit n stitch also coincided with the monthly sock club- I was the ONLY person there for sit n stitch. So one of the owners invited me to sit with the sock knitters and work on what I'm doing while they learned how to make the sock pattern of the month. I got to meet a few people as I sat and knit. It was a very pleasant atmosphere, and it was nice to be somewhere without worrying about kids getting into things, abducted or run over by cars.

So I made some pretty good progress on the baby sweater. Last night I finished the front. The directions were a little wierd in spots, I thought, so I made a few minor adjustments and things still look like they're supposed to, so that's a good thing. And today I cast on the back. A few more inches and I'll begin shaping the arm holes. I haven't made a pull over yet that fit over the intendees' head, but this might just be my first. Of course we won't know that until the baby is born- next year. But I have faith, and that's all that counts, right? The faith of a mustard seed...

DH has been working very early all week, which means that he's been going to bed very early. And it seems that within minutes of him going to the room the girls get buggy and start running around the house sqealing and talking in their outside voices. I try to get them to stop without yelling myself- hard to do when they're screaming and talking loudly. It seems like they get infinately louder on those nights DH has gone to bed early, but maybe it just feels that way because I'm more concious about keeping the noise down. I don't even think they get this loud and obnoxious during the day- usually. So my good afternoon has segued into this- another stressful evening of keeping the girls at a reasonable volume. Oh well, you can't win them all.

1 comment:

david mcmahon said...

G'day from Australia,

My Mum used to knit too. It was a wonderful sight.

Where would we be without great Moms?